My Photo
Name:
Location: Brownsville, Texas, United States

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Justice is blind...

Well, I had a small moment of 'what the...' in one of my history classes today. I was teaching about Hammarabi's code (first laws written that have survived more than 4,000 years of history--p.s. they were also the first laws written in stone) and one of Hammarabi's laws was about stealing--if you stole and were caught, you lost your offending hand. Well, this clicked with my students because one of them shouted out, 'just like in Saudi Arabia!' Prooving once again that history is not just the past, it's also the present.

So, what does a teacher say to that? At least they were able to connect history with current circumstances and make it relavent to them...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home